General UW-Stout Graduate School Application
All prospective graduate students at UW-Stout must follow a standard application process through our Graduate Studies. Beyond that, each graduate program has specific requirements that must be met to be successfully admitted to the program:
Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- Fall Term: January 5 (Priority)
Applicants are strongly advised to complete the admissions process prior to January 5. Applications received after this deadline will be considered as space is available.
To be admitted with full status to the M.S. in School Counseling program, you must:
- Hold an appropriate bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
Program-Specific Application Requirements
To successfully apply for the program, first complete the UW System Application and receive your Application ID. Then, use this ID to fill out the UW-Stout Graduate Studies Collection Form, where you will provide the following:
- Background Check (completed through an external vendor)
- Candidate Information Form
- Personal Statement - approximately 500 words (not to exceed 3 typewritten, double-spaced pages)
- Describe your strengths and weaknesses as a potential graduate student, as well as your motivation for entering the program.
- Clearly indicate your understanding of the roles and functions of professionals in the program.
- Reference activities/employment in which you have been involved that make you a particularly good candidate for admission into the program.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Application Review Process
A review of all applications will be conducted by the program director or a program admissions committee.
Applicants who are recommended by a faculty committee are invited to a personal interview. After the interview, you will be notified within one week about your acceptance or denial to the program.